How To Glitter A Concrete Floor

floor

In the process of redoing our art studio, I wanted to go big and sparkly. We ripped up the icky carpet and found smooth concrete underneath. We went to Home Depot and bought a garage floor epoxy coating kit. I saw that it came with black and white decorative flecks, and instantly thought – “why not glitter?” We bought the sandstone color and I bought 6 jars of chunky gold glitter at Michaels (I was going to use my Crafty Chica Goddess Gold Glitter, but I didn’t have enough to cover the room).

Here’s how I covered and sealed my floor in glitter:

Supplies:
1 garage floor coating kit (found at home improvement stores)
2 paint rollers, handle, 2 trays
1 scrub brush for cleaning the floor before you start
1 bucket and mop
6-8 jars of chunky glitter, bowl
1 brush for edging
1 gallon of water-based polyurethane varnish, high gloss
Fans, open windows!

Directions:
1. Use the cleaner in the kit to fully clean your floor. Mix it in the bucket, scrub, rinse with mop.
2. Scrape off any glue, patch holes, let dry.
3. Mix the two parts of paint mixture according to package directions. Stir vigorously. Seriously, this stuff is just like resin, you have to mix it really good or it won’t work!
4. Pour into one paint tray, use a brush to paint the edges of the room.
5. Now use one of the rollers to paint a section of the room.
6. Throw handfuls of glitter in the air so it lands evenly. Don’t throw or toss it like chicken feed or it will land in piles or splotches.
7. Keep working section by section, make sure to add glitter to cover the section lines so it will all blend.
8. If you want light glitter, just lightly toss. If you want heavy glitter, spread generously (like mine!).
9. Let dry over night, extra if you live in a humid climate. Use push broom to sweep off excess glitter. Scrub away areas that are too thick, you want it to all be even. Sweep up extra and toss it.
10. Open can of varnish, pour in the second paint tray and use second roller to apply an even coat. Let dry and add another coat. Repeat four or five times. You want the floor to be smooth so you can wipe up any spills.
11. Let dry for 2-3 days before moving in furniture or walking on it.

TIPS:
– If you use the flakes that come with the kit, toss those first and then add the glitter.
– Keep the window open in the room, keep the fans going. It’s stinky!
– If you miss a spot, don’t try to backtrack while the paint is wet, your feet will stick to the floor. I know from experience!

Below is a video tutorial I made of the process! Enjoy!
(And psst…if you like glitter, you may like my novel about a girl who accidentally buys 350 pounds of green glass glitter and has to figure out what to make with it!)

LINK

Felicidad,
Kathy :-)
Check out my new novel! MISS SCARLET’S SCHOOL OF PATTERNLESS SEWING

Peace, love, and glitter!
Kathy :-)

Kathy Cano-Murillo

Kathy Cano-Murillo

Kathy Cano-Murillo is an Author and artist, founder of CraftyChica.com.

Tags assigned to this article:
glitter

Related Articles

How to Sew a Set of Pillow Stix!

Pillows are the best sewing projects for beginners. The lines are clean and the edges are always crisp, right? Well,

Back from Cali

Back from Cali with goods news and bad. The good: Disneyland rocked, so did the new Pirates ride. The line

Embossed Foil Charms

In this video, I show how to make these cool charms from foil, craft foam and permanent marker! So easy,

101 comments

Write a comment
  1. Kustom Kissers
    Kustom Kissers 12 July, 2011, 19:36

Genius! I want to do my floor in pink.

2. phoward1112
    phoward1112 12 July, 2011, 20:03

OH MY GOODNESS!!! I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS IDEA!!! It is GORGEOUS!!! Wow! Thank you for sharing this!!! :)

3. Lily Razz
    Lily Razz 12 July, 2011, 20:08

That’s absolutely awesome!!! I love it!!!

4. Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com
    Heather - Dollarstorecrafts.com 12 July, 2011, 20:57

LOVE it, Kathy! I will definitely link up at DecorHacks!

5. Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica
    Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica 12 July, 2011, 21:01

Yay! so happy you like it!!!

6. Magical Days with the Mouse
    Magical Days with the Mouse 12 July, 2011, 21:10

I don’t usually comment, but I do follow you and read. Love this so much! Very cool Kathy!

7. BellaVida
    BellaVida 12 July, 2011, 23:22

Wow!!!! That is truly eye catching. Soooo Gorgeous!

Bella Vida by Letty
    Great job.

8. julie
    julie 13 July, 2011, 00:40

WOW!!! Coincidentally enough, we’re redoing our kitchen floor soon. I’m 100% positive that it does NOT have cement hidden underneath it, yet I must figure out a way to coat it all in glitter!

9. Rina Gonzales
    Rina Gonzales 13 July, 2011, 03:56

Great video. Love the “chicken feed” and “Quality Controllers”. The floor looks so fabulous, it will help you to be MORE creative and crafty!!!

10. Socorro
    Socorro 13 July, 2011, 04:14

So so clever and the floor is
    B E A U T I F U L!!!1

11. kikithespunkymunky
    kikithespunkymunky 13 July, 2011, 16:28

<3 <3 <3

12. Anonymous
    Anonymous 13 July, 2011, 16:29

<3 <3 <3

13. Genevieve Gail
    Genevieve Gail 13 July, 2011, 17:21

This might just be the coolest floor I’ve ever seen!

14. Andi Rockz
    Andi Rockz 13 July, 2011, 17:42

Do you think this can be done over old tile or does it NEED to be over concrete.
    Thanks!

15. Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica
    Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica 13 July, 2011, 17:47

The question about if it will work on tile – i think the paint has to “grip” on to some porous. if it is too smooth it could chip off. but if you don’t plan to put a lot of wear and tear (if it is a special room) it could work!

16. Ami King
    Ami King 13 July, 2011, 18:10

I love it! Your “inspectors” are pretty cute, too:)

17. Anna
    Anna 13 July, 2011, 20:02

Absolutely fabulous!

18. Eljean
    Eljean 13 July, 2011, 23:55

We had one of these floors in my church way back in the 70’s. The workmen wore golf shoes so they could walk around on the wet floor and get everything just right. It worked well for them. This looks gorgeous.

19. Jene'
    Jene' 14 July, 2011, 03:36

This is amazing! I would love to have a glitter floor

20. It's Raining Jelly Beans
    It's Raining Jelly Beans 14 July, 2011, 18:24

I think I just fell in love…will you marry me? What?….you’re already married and I’m a woman? So what anybody who loves glitter as much as I do….well she should be friends at least. I saw a glitter wall for a photo shoot and have been trying to figure out how to convince my husband to let me glitter a wall. If we were married it would be easy to convoke you, right? I had a secret crush on glitter before I stayed at the Gramercy Park Hotel in NYC- they have a Warhol that is all glitter. I now yell it loud and proud…. I LOVE GLITTER.

21. Saguaro Chick
    Saguaro Chick 14 July, 2011, 23:41

That is the prettiest floor I have ever seen! Yowza! Kathy, do you happen to know where to get Ranger Melt Art Beeswax in Phoenix? Having a hard time finding it without having to go out to the East Valley. Thanks.

Leslie

22. monogirl
    monogirl 15 July, 2011, 20:37

Found you via Apartment Therapy. That floor is Amazeballs! I love it!

23. Jeffery K.
    Jeffery K. 15 July, 2011, 21:09

LOVE IT! But I’m not sure why you tossed the glitter rather than mix it into the paint? Is there an advantage to tossing over mixing?

24. Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica
    Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica 15 July, 2011, 21:14

Good question!

Yes, big difference – paint is opaque. If you mix the glitter in, it will make the paint grainy, you won’t see the glitter, it will be covered in paint.

If it were clear then you could mix it in, like with clear resin.

You also would not want to mix glitter in the clear sealer because you want the floor to be smmoooth…

25. Catherine
    Catherine 15 July, 2011, 21:45

Can you do this on terrazzo flooring? Or strictly on concrete?

26. Anonymous
    Anonymous 15 July, 2011, 22:14

I do not have a cement floor. If anyone has done this on another type of floor, please let us know.

27. crashandcarry
    crashandcarry 15 July, 2011, 22:18

This is the bomb! I worship the glitter you walk on!!

28. Jeffery K.
    Jeffery K. 16 July, 2011, 00:03

Makes sense, Kathy. I always thought that glitter ceilings were done by mixing the glitter into the plaster, but apparently not? I just read on the Internets that there is something called a glitter gun that can be used to apply glitter to wet plaster. I had no idea such a thing existed!

29. Bette Baker
    Bette Baker 16 July, 2011, 00:23

Makes me want to pour cement in my kitchen. The floor is beautious.

30. Tante Fledermaus
    Tante Fledermaus 16 July, 2011, 01:53

My mission in life used to be to acquire a life-sized dinosaur sculpture to keep in my front yard. I have a new mission- to convince my Landlord (who is also my mother) to let me tear up all the carpet in the house and do this. THE WHOLE HOUSE. Holo hex glitter.

31. Jenni
    Jenni 16 July, 2011, 02:46

This is awesome!!

32. Jenni
    Jenni 16 July, 2011, 02:50

I hope you don’t mind by I just tweeted this out. TOTALLY awesome!

33. Jenny Holiday
    Jenny Holiday 16 July, 2011, 04:04

Ahhh!! I can’t take it!! Love love love!! I always tell Aaron how when we buy a house we neeeed a glittery driveway or roof!!!! Love love love!!

Happy Summer girl!!

xoxo Jenny

34. Ann @ makethebestofthings
    Ann @ makethebestofthings 16 July, 2011, 22:47

Freaking gorgeous! I want to rip up my carpet and do this right now! You are such a clever woman!

35. LakeMom
    LakeMom 18 July, 2011, 02:42

I SO wish I could do this to our kitchen or art room floor, but, alas, we rent. You are incredibly talented. Thanks for sharing your gifts.

36. Jessica
    Jessica 18 July, 2011, 21:05

Gorgeous!

37. 4bowenbabes
    4bowenbabes 20 July, 2011, 17:40

Perfect! Been wondering what to do with my utility room in the basement!!!

38. Denise @ niecynotes
    Denise @ niecynotes 20 July, 2011, 22:38

I’ve never seen anything like this! EVER! Love it! I pinned it on Pinterest (with credits)!

You can see how excited I am with all these exclamation points! lol

39. bred
    bred 21 July, 2011, 06:39

This is glorious Kathy. I really don’t have words to speak. Just a reasonable amount & some stuff is required to do this and you will get a glittering concrete floor. Thanks for sharing & i will try this soon.
    Justwhiteshirts Web Store

40. Anonymous
    Anonymous 22 July, 2011, 17:59

Lowe’s has a glitter that you stir directly into paint then roll it on walls, ceilings or floors. I used it for several rooms in my house and everyone gives compliments!

41. Once upon a Time
    Once upon a Time 23 July, 2011, 04:30

LOVE!LOVE!LOVE!LOVE! Can you tell how much I LOVE this! Brilliant! ;0)
    Think I might just have to try this out on a piece of furniture too.

42. PEACHES
    PEACHES 24 July, 2011, 03:07

OH to the EM to the GEE.

This is the coolest thing ever. A gittered floor has never even crossed my mind until a minute ago, and now I wonder how I have ever lived without it!

43. Anonymous
    Anonymous 25 July, 2011, 19:48

Wow…

This is breath taking.
    I asked my parents to do floor like that (but in red glitter and also red base color) and they said yes!
    I’m just in love with this idea, never seen anything like this.
    So, now my room will be redecorated and it will look awesome! They are going to redecorate the whole room just because of the floor. :D

THANK YOU!
    Ro.

44. Jenn
    Jenn 1 August, 2011, 17:58

I love this!!!! I want to do my dining/kitchen area!

45. Rita
    Rita 9 August, 2011, 21:08

I love it!!! Now I want to glitter the floor in our basement, only problem is … the basement is my husband’s workshop, I don’t think he’d agree. :)

46. jt
    jt 9 August, 2011, 23:13

I’m really psyched to do this in my studio- Yours is beautiful, and I’m surprised that I like the gold so much. I have a couple of questions, and I hope you haven’t addressed them in the video because I haven’t watched the video yet.
    1. How big is your studio?
    2. What size ‘jars’ of glitter did you buy? A regular little thing of glitter, even 4-6 of them doesn’t seem like enough to get the stunning effect that you did. I would hate to do this to my floor, only to have it semi-glittery.
    Thanks!

47. Kate
    Kate 11 August, 2011, 04:42

Yeah, how big/what weight were your jars? I am plotting my own glittery floor, and I’m going to have to by off the net, so I need to know beforehand.

So impressive!

48. SEO Company
    SEO Company 12 August, 2011, 06:50

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

49. Changing in Heels
    Changing in Heels 18 August, 2011, 17:16

Love this idea and it proves all that glitters is gold!

50. Jess
    Jess 25 August, 2011, 14:27

I do honestly think this is the best thing I’ve ever seen. I am SO doing this one day. Bravo!!!

51. kiku
    kiku 7 September, 2011, 19:16

can’t thank you enough and (kismet!) found it just as my brand new concrete floors developed a crack. glittering starts in a half an hour, can’t wait! i went with aqua and turquoise with a tiny bit of red. i am also going to go with a clear epoxy coat on top – saves me 4 coats of urethane! wish me luck and THANK YOU!

52. kiku
    kiku 9 September, 2011, 20:48

ok, finally finished glittering the floor. I did a 10’x18′ room and ended up using a LOT of glitter, at least four of the little jars from michaels (6oz?), two lbs of chunky glitter that i ordered online, plus six of those really expensive fine glitters that you can buy at michaels. I wish I had just started with 5lbs, swept it up and used it for another project (there is a lot to sweep up the next day, but if the floors are clean, why not reuse?). i will say tossing it up in the air is harder than it sounds to get it to land evenly. turn off the fan until you’re done and wear a respirator! i also top coated with two coats of the garage epoxy in clear. on that second coat, since my glitter colors ended up being uneven as i started tossing in whatever i had, i added a tiny bit of resin dye to make it transparent blue and it’s GORGEOUS. now i just have to wait for it to cure and I can move in! thanks so much, again, i am going to love going to work in my studio.

53. Mould Resistant Paint
    Mould Resistant Paint 12 September, 2011, 03:05

I like glittery things and I can’t imagine that it’s on the floor this time. I might try it on one of my show rooms. It will attract people to view it and it will be fun to watch.

54. RaquelitaMN
    RaquelitaMN 26 September, 2011, 23:23

Just the most wonderful in everyway.

Clarifying question – you mention you painted the epoxy in sections and then tossed with glitter, then did another section. Was it difficult to keep the glitter off the non-yet epoxied sections? did you have to remove loose glitter from those areas if it got there or does it not matter? It seems like where the sections meet it might be difficult to get both the paint and the glitter even….

Thansks!

55. liz
    liz 27 October, 2011, 15:13

Everything about this is YES!

56. TG
    TG 28 October, 2011, 11:55

question: will effloressence bubble it up after a few months?

57. Jessica LeAnne
    Jessica LeAnne 30 December, 2011, 20:27

I love everything about this! BUT I need to know more about those chairs backs! I need details did you make them? HOW? & How is it attached to the chair back?

58. Heather
    Heather 5 January, 2012, 01:36

If you mix the glitter in the varathane, varnish and then apply it to the painted floor you can get a uniform coat and not have to sweep up the glitter.

59. A To Zebra Celebrations
    A To Zebra Celebrations 15 March, 2012, 02:00

Seriously LOVE LOVE!!! I am a glitter fanatic :):)

60. Michell @ Girl In Air
    Michell @ Girl In Air 15 March, 2012, 02:00

WHOA! That puts my painted floor to shame….absolutely fabulous!!!!!

61. Zombiemommy
    Zombiemommy 15 March, 2012, 03:16

That is awesome. Came over from Infantile Creative.

62. B.
    B. 25 March, 2012, 06:35

Cool! I’m diggin’ that red chair too! Where did you get it?

63. Anonymous
    Anonymous 15 April, 2012, 15:09

I want to do this for a counter I have a piece of plywood and was hoping I could get the same effect is that possible???

64. Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica
    Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica 15 April, 2012, 16:18

I’m not sure if it would work for a countertop to eat or have food near….but for a decorative area, sure!

65. Linda Magro
    Linda Magro 17 April, 2012, 21:14

I love this idea…so happy I found you!

66. Heidi @Adventures of a Thrifty Mom
    Heidi @Adventures of a Thrifty Mom 18 April, 2012, 05:58

Wow! That looks great. Pinned it.

67. Michelle L.
    Michelle L. 21 April, 2012, 22:21

Out. Ray. Geous!!!! I love this, you are kind of insane. In the best way!

68. Amberbelly
    Amberbelly 28 April, 2012, 03:03

Hi Kathy! This is one of the best things I’ve seen in a LONG time! My husband just broke the news that my girl’s floor is plywood under the carpet. :( How could I do this on plywood flooring?

69. Anonymous
    Anonymous 29 April, 2012, 09:39

I love this too! I was wondering the same thing as RaquelitaMN, how you deal with overlapped glitter when tossing it in a section. Could you please explain?

70. Porche
    Porche 8 May, 2012, 05:30

How large of an area did you glitter? (I’m just trying to figure out how much glue to buy.) I’m also curious what you used to patch any holes in the floor.

Thank you!!

71. Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica
    Kathy Cano-Murillo, The Crafty Chica 8 May, 2012, 05:36

it was the size of a small living room and it took one box of garage floor paint, about 65.00 at the hardware store…

72. katemc
    katemc 10 May, 2012, 14:15

will you marry me?

73. E.S. Ivy
    E.S. Ivy 5 July, 2012, 13:47

Wow! This is amazing! I found you again through Stumble-upon. I talked to you about your blog/book deal at the Austin Maker Fair a couple of years ago and our girls had great fun making journals at your booth – they still have them.

74. vixen23
    vixen23 6 July, 2012, 16:13

This is amazing and I definitely plan to do the threshold to my den like this- 2 questions… 1- where can I buy bronze glitter in bulk 2- please clarify the size of the 6 containers of glitter you used

75. Anonymous
    Anonymous 31 July, 2012, 15:52

Love this idea! Wondering how slippery it is with the 5 coats of poly?

76. Kathy, The Crafty Chica
    Kathy, The Crafty Chica 31 July, 2012, 15:58

not slippery at all!

77. FAKE
    FAKE 12 August, 2012, 13:15

WOWWWWWWWWWWWWW! It’s stunning, I completely love it!

78. Anonymous
    Anonymous 3 September, 2012, 02:41

How pretty!!!!! Wow! If I wanted to use the sand color kit and use pink glitter I wonder if I would get a rose gold effect? We are doing this floor at the new salon we are building. I guess my question is would light pink glitter work on the sand kit or should I mix both pink and gold glitter?

79. Sondra Cholach
    Sondra Cholach 9 October, 2012, 05:29

If I was a bird, I’d happily die flying into your floor.

80. Tara Lynn
    Tara Lynn 2 November, 2012, 15:47

I wonder about using this on a tiled floor. Soon after installing our tiled floor, small cracks are running all over the place. Faulty tiles, but we laid them ourself so no recourse. Looking for a fix so we don’t have to rip them out. The cracks are visible when you point them out, most ppl do not notice, but still…I wonder how this works on tile. And mixing the glitter ito the varnish…hmm.

81. SaveTheUnicorns797
    SaveTheUnicorns797 4 November, 2012, 00:46

How much did it cost for the entire project?

82. Miss Daisy
    Miss Daisy 17 November, 2012, 11:58

This is amazing!!

83. sithlet
    sithlet 18 December, 2012, 20:04

Also – a grass seed spreader, if you can get your hands on one, will plant the glitter very evenly!

84. Wrestlerchic
    Wrestlerchic 26 December, 2012, 17:50

I have actually done a variance on this. I used a red base and added iridescent sparkles and the black specks. It turned out great, but I should have sealed with a clear coat.

85. Wrestlerchic
    Wrestlerchic 26 December, 2012, 17:51

86. The MadStamper
    The MadStamper 27 February, 2013, 02:45

Just found your blog and saw this post….LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!! =) I WILL do this to my basement craft area, sometime in the future!!! Thanks for the fabulous idea!!! =)

87. Gwyneth Jones
    Gwyneth Jones 24 March, 2013, 07:35

This made my day! Thanks! :-)

88. Beth
    Beth 20 June, 2013, 23:56

Any tips for how to talk my husband into letting me do this?

89. Rhea Bush
    Rhea Bush 22 July, 2013, 01:55

What size jars of glitter did you buy? I just ordered about 10 oz of opalescent glitter for my room, I’m not sure if that is enough or not.

Your floor is amazing!!!!

90. Dayna
    Dayna 23 August, 2013, 14:46

This would look awesome on the concrete kitchen countertops too!!!! Ohhhh the ideas!!

91. Janis
    Janis 13 December, 2013, 14:00

Oh how beautiful. We are going to redo a floor, and I want to do this. Thanks for sharing so much.

92. Brian
    Brian 28 December, 2013, 23:06

We just did our basement living room. We went over previously installed wood tiles. We cleaned the floor with warm water prior to using the epoxy and it bonded to the tile great (we did not use the “etching” powder provided with the epoxy). We did a mix of 6lbs black glitter and 3 lbs gold glitter over the dark gray epoxy (18×12′ room). As stated above it was difficult to get an even coating of glitter but the heavier patches actually add character to the already mezmarizing floor. Thanks for the fun idea!

93. luccsia
    luccsia 5 January, 2014, 14:37

Hi! I’d like to glitter the floor in a room, which size is around 3×3 meters. What do you think, how much glitter do I need for that work?

94. Joy
    Joy 3 September, 2014, 10:37

Hi! Was just wondering how this flooring is holding up for you after some time has passed? I’m thinking of doing it in a public art studio but thought I should consider any potential issues before taking the leap. Thanks for any insight you may have!

• Kathy Cano-Murillo
      Kathy Cano-Murillo Author 3 September, 2014, 12:04

Hi Joy! It has held up beautifully, I Swiffer and sweep as necessary…

• Joy
        Joy 5 September, 2014, 10:30

Thanks Kathy! I appreicate your feedback. One more thing…since you didn’t use the flakes that came with the kit (but obviously replacing with cool glitter), is the surface of the floor slippery? Particularly when wet? Since I’ll be using it in a commercial application, I need to consider safety.

Thanks again, and sorry to keep bugging you!

Write a Comment

Your e-mail address will not be published.
Required fields are marked*