PROJECT: Custom Made Lucha Libre Mask
Check your local flea market or swap meet for a luchador mask and then trick it out for Halloween! Become your own rock star in the ring!
Lucha Libre is a form of Mexican wrestling, but it actually means “free fighting.” The crafters are given Luchadors masks and various crafting tools and materials so that once they decide who their Lucha Libre “character” is, they can decorate the masks to reflect their wrestling personality.
This is fun project I did on Craft Lab a couple of years ago!
Mexican wrestling masks
glue gun sticks
faux gems and crystals
pairs of bright show lace
Making a MaskLucha Libre masks can be purchased online or at Mexican import stores, and this is how they come (figure A). Embellish the mask and pick a name for your Mexican wrestler personality.
- Stretch the lucha mask over the foam head.
- Hot-glue gems, sequins, trim and items on the vinyl areas. For a symmetrical likeness, decorate the opposite side with the exact proportions (figure B). Create desired designs or write your name on the Lucha Libre mask with fabric paint.
- Hot-glue yarn to the sides of the mask to create fringe.
- If you don’t have a glue gun, use industrial-strength glue.
- If you don’t have a foam head, place a strong balloon or volleyball inside the mask.
- Create funky swirls and designs with glitter glue.
- Replace existing laces with bright color laces.
Kathy Cano-Murillo is an Author and artist, founder of CraftyChica.com.
This is was an unplanned Halloween project. I had foam pumpkins in my garage from years past that I couldn’t
Margot Potter makes a super chic witchy hat! http://diydoyenne.com/make-enchanting-witch-hat/ Kid costumes galore on my site! http://www.craftychica.com/2013/10/diy-halloween-kid-costumes/ Jader Bomb shares cute balloon cake
This is a compensated campaign in collaboration with Angel Soft and Latina Bloggers Connect. All opinions expressed are my own