I had the chance to chat with HGTV’s David Bromstad about his new Coffee-mate bottle designs for Target Stores. Not only did he share design tips, but also how he is able to manage a creative career. Something we can all relate to!
For starters, David was the winner of HGTV’s Design Star in 2006. He has one of those personalities that just swirls about with charm and charisma. It’s no wonder his show Color Splash became a network favorite since 2007. He’s gone on to design everything from art to shoes to towels and now, these beautiful bottles for Coffee-mate! Starting August 1st, you’ll be able to purchase one of the collectable bottles from the dairy aisle at Target! And aside from the interview below, David’s work is part of the “Coffee–mate Inspires Sweepstakes.” Scroll to the bottom of the interview to see how you can enter to win a $500 gift cards, Coffee-mate for a year, and a Signed David Bromstad Giclée , a museum quality reproduction of one of his paintings!
KATHY CANO-MURILLO: Where were you when you got the news about designing the bottles?
DAVID BROMSTAD: I was in Miami, finishing up on a crazy three month tour and I got a call from my agent: “Nestle and Coffee-mate want you to design the Hazelnut and French Vanilla bottles!” I was like, “What? I’m already a fan of those two flavors!” I was on a long tour, exhausted, and then they said, “Well, you have to go to L.A. right now to meet them.” And all of a sudden I had energy again, I was like, “OK, I’m fine! Let’s go!” And then when I found out they would be exclusive at target? Um, I just about died!
As a designer and an artist – how do you even start on a project like this?
I approach every project, whether it’s interior design, an art piece, or a bottle of Coffee-mate, the same: I get to know the brand. What I learned about Coffee-mate was that everything on that bottle is there for a purpose. For example the heart around the logo. It represents the union between coffee and Coffee-mate. Not only that, but the union between you and the coffee – and you and your friends that you drink your coffee with. Or even by yourself, at peace. Once I learned that, my wheels started turning.
So then you cranked out sketches?
Yes, I presented 50 designs. I did them mostly on the computer because they are easier to whip up. Then Coffee-mate chose their favorites, and then I followed with actual paintings. I put a lot of passion into it, I was so excited to do a good job!
You’re so popular, your work is everywhere! How do you manage your creativity?
I’ve always worked on deadlines. I’ve found that as an artist I need deadlines. Otherwise I’ll procrastinate. That’s just about every artist, right? But that is how the fire is lit under my butt, waiting until that last moment to create. But because the fire has been lit under my butt for the past eight years non-stop, I have what you call, ‘forced creativity.’
Do you do it all by yourself?
I also rely a lot on my design assistants. They have a different aesthetic that I respect them for, and sometimes it helps me come up with even better ideas. I’m a designer and an artist and I love to collab with other designers, artists, and companies. And I always give them kudos!
You said you love coffee, do you have a magical coffee corner in your house?
I sure do! I have a specific coffee corner, it was even featured in HGTV’s Home magazine (see above photo). It’s right off of my kitchen. It has low tufted silver chairs that are super comfy. In between is a stump made of different pieces of wood, bound together with metal. Behind that is a half-glass wall that lights up. I have 250 different colored vases. They are all Viking L.E. Smith mid-century vases that are see-through. They are lined up in order of the rainbow. It is my favorite place in the whole house and that is where I drink my cup of coffee every day!
Why do you think coffee corners are needed?
They are important. We have busy lives and with the Internet and cellphones, we rarely get to escape to turn off. I like to ease into the day and start off enjoying quiet time because I know the pace for the rest of the day can be out of control.
What is your favorite Coffee-mate concoction?
Oh! French Vanilla and Hazelnut, I’m a mixologist! I like to call it “hazelnella” coffee surprise. And you know what? I’ve been doing that for years, since I was 19!
DAVID’S DESIGN TIPS
– We are not all meant to be professional designers, but sometimes simplicity is key to add a bit of pizazz to your living space. I always recommend adding visual interest with the addition of color, texture and/or pattern. Add pops of color with throw pillows, and accessories like lamps and artwork. I love to add mixed metals too!
– When it comes to trends that make a splash, metallics have become all the rage. Mixing metallics is key for success in your home. Also, animal prints are everywhere and they aren’t going away anytime soon, and that makes me happy!
– I LOVE entertaining! When you’re entertaining you want your guests to feel like they are transported so a fantasy land. Lighting is key to make this experience come to life. Simply put your lights on dimmers, and NEVER forget the candles!
– I think it’s fun when you send your guests home with something special and unique at the end of a dinner party or gathering. A simple jar of homemade goodies with as special label is always a great way to say goodbye to your guests. I always make sure the vessel is unique and can be used somewhere else in their home.
For more on David Bromstad’s limited-edition Coffee-mate bottles, design tips and videos, available only at Target, visit: http://bit.ly/TargetMD
Here are the details:
The Coffee–mate Inspires Sweepstakes starts August 1 and goes through August 31.
To enter the sweepstakes: Use the hashtag #CMInspiresSweepsEntry on Instagram or Twitter (not Facebook) and share the inspiration you get from Coffee–mate in your cup!
Winners of the Coffee–mate Inspires Sweepstakes will be announced the first week of September.
There will be a total of 5 winners:
One (1) Grand Prize:
· Signed David Bromstad Giclée , a museum quality reproduction of one of his paintings
· $500 Target® GiftCard
· Free COFFEE–MATE® creamer for a year
Four (4) Weekly Prizes (one prize per week):
· One (1) COFFEE–MATE® gift pack which contains Coffee–mate creamer for a year
· $500 Target® GiftCard
And on August 14, 7pm Central Time, there will be Twitter Party (yes, more prizes!) to celebrate all of this – hashtag #CMinspires