Transform a men’s dress shirt into a cheery, colorful blouse for the sunny season!
- Men’s dress shirt
- 1 yard of twill tape
- 2 yards of coordinating silk ribbon
- Fabric stencils (See “Source.”)
- Fabric glitter (See “Source.”)
- Fabric glue (See “Source.”)
- Fabric dye (See “Source.”)
- Tailor’s chalk
- Measuring tape
- Safety pin
- Decorative buttons (optional)
- Dye the shirt in the desired color(s), following the manufacturer’s instructions. The shirt showcased on the episode was dyed orange on top and fuchsia on bottom. Launder the shirt; press.
- Position the buttoned shirt right side up on a flat work surface. Measure 5″ above the chest pocket; mark using tailor’s chalk. Draw a line extending from the mark to each shirt side edge. Cut along the line to remove the shirt upper portion.
- Cut off the sleeves just beyond each shoulder seam. Stitch a rolled hem along the raw edges.
- Fold the shirt upper edge 1 1/2″ toward the wrong side; pin, and then stitch. Insert the safety pin along one twill tape end. Feed the tape through the shirt upper edge. Remove the safety pin and tie together the tape ends.
- Turn over the shirt so the back is facing up. Fold the shirt in half lengthwise and widthwise to find the center; unfold. Fold the ribbon in half widthwise; unfold. Position the ribbon center over the shirt center; stitch, leaving two long ribbon tails.
- Turn over the shirt so the front is facing up. Decorate the shirt front using stencils, adhesive and glitter, as desired. Let dry.
- Remove the buttons and hand stitch decorative buttons in place, if desired.
- Try on the blouse and tie the ribbon around the body to the blouse front. Tie the ribbon into a knot or bow.
Love & light,