This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Albertsons Safeway. The opinions and text are all mine.
Before I go into the Hairy ‘N Scary Pet Photo Contest, know that there are personality types when it comes to Halloween costumes – those who curate costumes for themselves, and those who go all out for their dogs. I fall somewhere in between. Being the mom of FIVE Chihuahuas, I ooh and awww at all the cute doggy costumes for sale this time of year. First and foremost, I love my doggies and I want them to be comfy! So when I saw this pet photo contest by the Albertsons and Safeway family of stores – and that they teamed with Nestlé Purina to aid local pet shelters, I had to join in the fun!
Not only am I going to share details on the contest, but also inspiration for comfy dog costumes!
Here is where you can read all about the program and enter your pet photo! The contest runs through October 31, 2015. Post photos of your pet dressed in costume or planning the costume, etc. and share using the campaign hashtag #HairyNScary. Please also use the handle/hashtag of your local Albertsons Safeway owned grocery store. One winner from the 13 Albertsons Safeway divisions will be selected and will receive a $250 donation along with ten (10) bags of Purina ONE® (16.5lb.) and ten (10) bags of Purina® Cat Chow® (16 lb.), in their name, to their local, non-profit, accredited animal shelter or rescue to assist with housing, feeding, caring for, and finding families for, thousands of dogs, cats and other lovable creatures.
I wanted to share this with all of you because it’s a win-win: You can show off a picture of your awesome pet costume and possibly win goodies for your local pet shelter!
Now on to the inspiration for cute and unobtrusive costumes for your doggy! My goal for these is to share ideas that will not make you feel sorry for the dog wearing the costume! We’re keeping it classy! A happy dog makes for a happy owner!
Click on the titles to see the full tutorial.
1. Dracula Doggy from Sew Doggy Style – My friend, Erika, sews dog clothes for a living and creates patterns that are functional and comfy, look at how adorable Sebastian is here! She made this from a men’s dress shirt! And here is another one of her patterns for a cape!
2. Hippie Doggy from iLoveToCreate! Tie dye some jersey fabric for a groovy look for your pooch!
3. Meme Doggy from iLoveToCreate: Use iron-on letters on a dog tee and create a snappy saying!
4. Simple and Elegant Doggy: OK, our dogs refuse to wear costumes. At all. But they do allow for collars! So I glammed up Bianca’s with crystals!
5. Death Star Doggy from Neatorama: If your canine happens to be stuck wearing a cone due to healing from surgery, here’s a silver lining!
6. Sharp-dressed Man Doggy from HGTV and Sam Henderson. This one speaks for itself, the title says it all.
Love & light,