Today is our 25th wedding anniversary! The first thing Patrick told me this morning when we woke up was, “We’ve been on a long journey together, haven’t we?” I blinked away the happy tears thinking back of how far we’ve come. I remember at our wedding wondering what life would be like 25 years down the road, just like my parents. I prayed we would achieve that and we did! Now I pray for another 25, and then another! My nana always told me that marriage is a long road with all kinds of hills and valleys but as the years go on, everything smoothes out to a nice pace. She was so right!
I don’t claim to have the ultimate marriage advice, but I can share what I’ve learned so far, with the help of Patrick by my side because he teaches me so much each and every day. And I am so thankful for that!
– Never take anything for granted because anything can change in an instant.
– Appreciate the moment right now, the little victories, the daily courtesies!
– Anticipate the needs of your loved ones.
– Always treat each other with respect. For those silly arguments, look at the big picture and see if it is really worth getting mad about. Sometimes it’s better to just let it go.
– Have each other’s back! Be each other’s #1 cheerleader/fan!
– Discuss your personal issues among the two of you, not among your friends or extended family. It’s fine to share stuff here and there, but not all day every day, it creates unnecessary drama.
– Support each other’s goals and hobbies. It’s not about money, it is about making sure each of you feels equal in the partnership!
– Always show love, forgiveness, and compassion.
– Steal a kiss or a hug whenever and wherever you can.
– Go do new things – visit new places, try new places to eat, go visit friends you haven’t seen.
– Help each other be better people. Right now we are working to help each other get healthy by cooking better meals!
– Work on goals and plans together, so you are on the same page and there are no surprises.
– Make and serve a delicious meal when you have to deliver bad news – like when you accidentally make and sell necklaces from keys that you didn’t know were for the side gate and your husband has torn up the house looking for them and has to go buy a bolt cutter to remove the lock…(I haven’t told him yet!)
– Help each other dye those grey hairs, lol!!!
Happy anniversary to my honey! I wish I had wedding pictures, but the guy we hired ruined all his film, can you believe it?
What marriage tips do you have?Love & light,