Here’s a clever way to let the light shine! I came across these hollow papier mâché hearts (you can find them with an online search) and thought they would work great as small lanterns. Pick up a pack of battery-operated tea lights at the dollar store, print out some pictures of your little ones and get ready to have a craftathon! These hearts are wonderful to give to grandmas, aunts, and friends too!
What you’ll need
- Hollow papier mâché ornaments, 5.5″
- Craft knife
- Picture, printed on copy paper
- Glue stick
- Craft paint, brushes
- Glue, glitter, embellishments
- Battery-operated tea lights
How to make it
- Draw a circle on the surface of the ornament, this is where you will cut with the craft knife.
- Choose a photo, then draw or cut a circle shape a little bit larger than the one you drew on the ornament.
- Use the craft knife to cut the circle from the ornament. On the back of the ornament, cut another circle, but leave a bit of it connected to make a flap, or a little door. Be careful when using the craft knife!
- Paint the inside and the outside of all the ornaments. Let dry so the paint won’t get on your beautiful picture!
- Add the glue stick to the rim of the ornament. If you use copy paper, I found it is easier to place outside the cut. If you are using gift tissue paper, you can affix it from the inside with minimal wrinkles.
- Now that your pictures are glued and dried, it’s time to add the decorations! Add painted accents, coat with glue and glitter, add trim, whatever you want. This would be a great time to have the kids help you!
- Insert the battery-operated tea light in the back of the ornament. Close the little flap. Do not use a real candle, ONLY use a battery-operated light.
- And here you go! You can hang them outside for family gatherings or around your other pictures.
- Magical and glowy!